I thought I'd share the key lessons I took home from LTUE this year--hopefully something here will be useful to one of you! (If you missed my post on mapmaking, see it here.)
- The more excited you are about your book, the more excited others will be
- What makes your book different? Your hero different? ("Different" is the key word, here.)
Writers on Writing:
- Don't write around it, write it!
- Read from ALL fields, even if you only write in one
- Book recommendation: On Writing by Stephen King
- Ask yourself this: How many books are you willing to write without ever being published? (This is a hard one for me to answer! I'd rather not know the number!)
- Idea for creating a story: take a standard epic fantasy plot idea (like the quest to save the world), and then add something the protagonist is dealing with that's completely unrelated. Tie them together.
- Avoid adding new subplots and characters in the last one-fourth of the book.