Before you create your creature...
- Know the story you're going to write. (Character/theme/plot/setting)
- What kind of creature do you want? A vampire, a ghoul, an out-right monster?
Flesh out your creature with research.
- To learn the original myths
- To see modern conventions
- To know what's been done already
- To discover myths from other cultures
What you should consider when creating your creature:
- What rules are hard and fast?
- Are you going with or against convention?
- What is the root cause? (Such as vampirism)
- Is there an unexpected quality that changes the creature?
Have you ever created a creature for a book, or taken a new spin on a common convention? What creatures have you found in reading that you liked?